The Gambia Press Union (GPU) invites suitably qualified candidates to apply for the vacant position of Programme Officer, Gender and Welfare.
Background of GPU:
The GPU is the umbrella body for Gambian journalists, registered with the Attorney General’s Office in 1979. The Union’s mission is to promote press freedom, freedom of expression and media professionalism as well as promote and protect the welfare and safety of media practitioners.
The Programme Officer for Gender and Welfare is primarily responsible for the programmatic areas of gender and welfare, labour rights and safety of journalists.
His/her tasks include:
- Providing general administrative support to the Secretariat
- Contributing to day-to-day support to programme/project implementation and ensuring conformity with expected results, outputs, objectives, and work-plans
- Undertaking donor mapping and engagement, including developing and maintaining good working relationships with donors, partners, and other stakeholders
- Adhering to the reporting guidelines of donors and partners to ensure that the reporting requirements are met
- Developing project concepts and proposals for fundraising
- Organising and maintaining project files and database
- Organising meetings, seminars and workshops, including arranging briefings and appointments, taking notes/minutes and producing reports
- Writing, editing, and distributing content, including publications, press releases, website content, annual reports, and other material that communicates the Union’s works
- Producing and managing material for the Union’s social media platforms
- Strengthening effective relationships with Union members and other journalists
- Providing feedback, advice, project updates to supervisor on programmatic activities
- Genuine commitment towards the principles of freedom of expression and press freedom, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance
- Commitment towards GPU’s mission and vision, as well as its core values.
Education and Experience:
- Advanced/higher diploma in Journalism, Communication, Law, Political Science, Development Studies, or any Social Science. Bachelor’s degree would be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated experience, knowledge and understanding of Gambia media landscape, especially media laws, regulations, issues of journalists’ welfare, and labour rights issues
- Minimum two (2) years of experience working as a journalist, communication officer, programme officer/manager, or human rights/civil society advocate
- Experience in media advocacy, media development and project management would be an added advantage
Reporting line: The Programme Officer reports to the Senior Programme Officer.
How to Apply:
Please submit your CV/Resume, scanned copies of relevant certificates, and a cover letter stating your reasons for applying and how your experience and qualification are relevant to the job. Please provide at least two professional referees in your CV.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com – under the subject: Application for the Position of Programme Officer. Only email applications are accepted and all applications must be copied to both emails.
Deadline for application:
25th August, 2023 at 4pm.
The Gambia Press Union is an equal opportunity employer. Therefore, qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interview.